Next in chronological order of the four Royal factories is Sevres. The two brothers Dubois, one a modeller, the other a painter, came in 1725 from the factory at St. Cloud to Chantilly, then under the patronage of the Prince de Conde, where they produced objects of pate-tendre. In 1738 they established a new factory at Vincennes, which was, in 1740, transferred to Sevres, where they continued to produce objects of soft paste. No marks were used until after 1753, when Louis XV purchased a third interest in the factory, and extended to it his royal patronage.
The ground colors which have been most admired as the production of Sevres are: Bleu Turquoise, also known as Bleu Ancien or Bleu du Roy ; Gros Bleu, also known as Bleu Royal or Beau Bleu ; Bleu Turc or Turquin, which is not the turquoise, but a pale grayish blue; Gris d’Agathe, Purpre, Carmine, Bleu lapis, Vert and Jaune. Rose Pompadour or DuBarry was invented in 1757 by Xhrouet, who received one hundred and fifty livres as a reward for his invention. The first jewelled Sevres was made in 1780, not earlier as claimed by some writers. The first soft paste was produced between the years 1740 and 1769. In 1769 kaolin was found at Limoges, and the brothers Dubois produced the first hard paste or true porcelain at Sevres. From 1769 to 1804 hard and soft paste were produced simultaneously ; from 1804 to 1807 hard paste was alone made. Since 1847 Sevres has again produced both. All manner of protection was given to this factory by the royal patronage. In 176o an edict from the Council forbade the use of any color or gilding, with the exception of blue, in any other factory in France than Sevres. Such arbitrary laws were hurtful to general progress, since they excluded competition, its very life. Under the direct royal patron-age and purse, the orders received or extorted from the nobility and the influence of the artistic period in France, Sevres soon outstripped all competitors.
Sevres has always employed artists of great merit.
Among those in our own day are Beranger, Huard, Robert, Hamon, Van Mat-eke, Andre, Troyon, Solon, and many others. Its most notable Director was Brongniart, who held that responsible position from 1800 until 1847.