Florentine School. Follower of Agnolo Gaddi.
THE ADORATION OF THE MAGI Under a canopy of three round arches (painted by a later hand) and backed by a landscape of rocks and the stable on the left, the three Kings and their retinues fill the foreground, the Virgin being seated with the Child on her knee on the extreme left. She and the Kings have nimbi. Caspar kneels before her, Melchior stands behind him, and Baltazar kneels in the centre. The attendants stand behind, only one on the right being mounted.
Commissioned by the Seignory for the Church of Sta. Lucia del Magnoli.
Formerly attributed to Fra Angelico and to Cosimo Rosselli.
THE CORONATION OF THE VIRGIN In the centre, in front of a Gothic altar, Christ crowns the Virgin, who is seated, dressed in a white robe and blue veil, at His left side. Behind are angels, and on either side saints, apostles, and martyrs. In front of the central group are three kneeling angels swinging censers.
Painted in 1413 for the Church of the Convent of Sta. Maria degli Angeli in Florence, to which Lorenzo belonged.
“This work is not only the largest, the most admirable, and the most authentic of the master, but is also the most splendid monument on which to form an idea of what Florentine art was in the earlier half of the fifteenth century.” (Vasari.)