THE MARTYRDOM OF SS. PLACIDIIS AND FLAVIA (1522-1524).
From the Chapel of Don Placido del Bono in the Church of San Giovanni. (Old copies of both these works exist in the Gallery at Madrid, where they are esteemed original.)
THE MADONNA DELLA SCODELLA, OR REPOSE IN EGYPT (1527).
Was in the Church of S. Sepolcro in Parma for 270 years. Napoleon carried it to Paris, but restored it later.
THE MADONNA OF S. JEROME, OR IL GIORNO.
Painted in 1523 for Donna Briseide Colla. It was taken by Napoleon. There are several copies; one by Lodovico Caracci is in the Bridgewater Gallery.
FLORENCE. UFFIZI GALLERY.
THE VIRGIN ADORING THE HOLY CHILD.
Presented to Cosimo II. de’ Medici by the Duke of Mantua in 1617. There was formerly an old copy in Vienna. The Repose in Egypt in this gallery is a copy.
MADONNA AND CHILD AND ST. JOHN BAPTIST OFFERING FRUIT (I519, 1520).
A replica slightly different is in the Hermitage at St. Petersburg
DANAE ON A COUCH WITH LOVE AND TWO Boy GENII.
This is a much-travelled picture, and has been to Spain, Prague, Vienna, Paris, and lastly remains in the collection of Prince Borghese at Rome.
THE TRIUMPH OF VIRTUE.
A slightly altered replica of the allegorical picture in the Louvre.
NAPLES. NATIONAL MUSEUM.
MARRIAGE OF ST. CATHERINE 1517-1519).
A rather different composition from the one in the Louvre ; it was in the Duke of Parma’s collection till 167o.
THE ZINGARELLA, OR GIPSY MADONNA (152I, 1522).
Was brought to Naples with too other pictures from the Farnese collection at Parma in 1740.
LONDON. NATIONAL GALLERY.
THE MADONNA DELLA CESTA (VIERGE AU PANIER) (1520?).
Was formerly at Madrid, but passed into French hands during the invasion of Spain, and was sold to the National Gallery for £3,800.
ECCE Homo !
Was purchased by the Marquis of Londonderry from Prince Colonna of Rome.
THE SCHOOL OF LOVE, OR EDUCATION OF CUPID.
Was in the Gonzaga inventory in 1627; has been in Spain, then in Naples, where Murat took it, and was at last sold to the National Gallery in 1834 for £11,500.
THE AGONY IN THE GARDEN OF GETHSEMANE.
This picture passed through many hands, till Philip IV. of Spain purchased it for 750 doubloons. The Duke of Wellington saved it from the hands of Joseph Buonaparte, and restored it to the King (Ferd. VII.), who gave it back as a present to him, and it has since remained at Apsley House. There are old copies in Florence, St. Petersburg, and in the National Gallery.
MARRIAGE OF ST. CATHERINE.
One of three pictures of this subject ; it once belonged to the Countess of Santa Fiora, then to Cardinal Barberini, and from him passed into the possession of Cardinal Mazarin. It was sold to the heirs of Louis XIV., and valued at 15,000 lire. There are several copies; one by Lodovico Caracci is in the Bridgewater Gallery.
THE TRIUMPH OF VIRTUE, AND VICE WITH THE PASSIONS.
Two allegorical pictures in tempera on canvas. They once belonged to Isabella Gonzaga, and then to King Charles I. of England. Afterwards Cardinal Mazarin bought them. The one in Rome is a replica of the first.
THE MADONNA OF ST. FRANCIS.
Correggio’s earliest work ; dates about 1514. This picture was restored in-1877 by Palmaroli.
LA NOTTE, OR THE HOLY NIGHT.
Commissioned in 1522 by Alberto Pratonero. A . copy was placed in the Church of St. Prospero when the original was secretly sold to the Duke of Modena.
THE MADONNA OF ST. GEORGE.
Painted in 15301532 for the Brotherhood of S. Pietro Martire at Modena. Passed to the Dresden Gallery in the time of Augustus III.
MADONNA OF ST. SEBASTIAN (1525).
A thank-offering of the Archers’ Company after the plague. Has been restored by Palmaroli.
GANYMEDE BORNE ON AN EAGLE TO OLYMPUS.
It was in Spain till the sixteenth century, and was purchased by Rudolf II. of Austria with the Leda in 1603.
IO EMBRACED BY JUPITER IN A CLOUD.
Was purchased from Spain in 1600. There is an old copy in the Berlin Museum.
LEDA SURPRISED BY SWANS WHILE BATHING WITH HER COMPANIONS 1530-1532).
Painted for the Duke of Mantua, who presented it to the Emperor Charles V. It has had several vicissitudes, and has been sold and resold. A replica is in the Palazzo Rospiglioso at Rome.
ST. PETERSBURG. THE HERMITAGE.
MADONNA AND CHILD AND ANGEL OFFERING FRUIT.
Similar to the one in the Torlonia Gallery, but, instead of St. John, an angel flies down with fruit for the Holy Child. A replica or copy of this is in the Esterhazy Gallery at Pesth.
MARRIAGE OF ST. CATHERINE.
Painted for Donna Matilde d’Este in 1517.
NOLI ME TANGERE.
Christ and Mary Magdalene in the garden It was presented to the Escorial by the Duke of Medina de las Torres, who acquired it in Bologna.
Correggio’s fresco paintings are all at Parma, and are to be studied in the following places : > 1. The Nunnery of S. Paolo, where the Diana room, described on p. 55, was painted.
2. The Church of S. Giovanni, in which some fragments of his Coronation of the Virgin, the Vision of St. John and a beautiful figure of St. John the Evangelist in a lunette over the door, and other frescoes still remain.
3. The chief frescoes are, of course, those in the dome of the cathedral, which represent the Assumption of the Virgin, and the twelve Apostles, and four patron saints of Parma.
4. There are some much faded smaller works, such as the Annunciation, in the Church of the SS. Annunziata, and the Madonna della Scala, once over the Roman gate, but now in the Academy at Parma.